Thursday, May 20, 2010

Herbs, with an "H".

Less than a month ago we planted some herbs. Since I have a bad track record when it comes to keeping plants (and pets) alive, we bought a little starter kit so I could, to quote The West Wing, "dangle my feet in the water".




herbs01
Now I am kind of regretting not buying half a dozen pots and a lot more seeds, because I am totally loving this whole container gardening thing!


Random fact: I like to pronounce the silent "H" in the word "herbs". Don't ask me why, but I just do. I mean, its not like I go around pronouncing this word incorrectly in public... just in the privacy of my own home. For some reason I am under the impression that I am funny, and so I keep doing it just to crack myself up. And yes, I will understand if you never want to visit my blog again.


But for those of you who are sticking around, let me show you some up close and personal pictures of these cute little herbs!





herbs03
This is the basil. These little suckers were the first of the herbs to pop up out of the soil. Basil takes up 1/3 of the container but I honestly expect it to take over the whole thing soon. This herb is quite the space hog.





herbs04
Here are my chives. Luckily I planted them in the middle so that they can give basil a little bit more room. I don't use chives very often, but I kinda like the look of them. So if nothing else it is fun to watch them grow!






herbs05
And last but not least we have the parsley. Besides our Italian seasoning, parsley is one of our favorite things to use when it comes to seasoning our food. It gets used quite a bit in this house, and because of that I probably should have just had a larger pot dedicated to parsley only. But I guess this will do for now!






herbs02

So there you have it. My three herbs that I have not killed yet! Hurray for me! Now that I have dangled my feet a bit, I am kinda wishing I would have put on a swimsuit and waded in a little deeper this year. Alas, I am a bit of a chicken. But believe you me, I am going to be a gardening fool next go around! I could so get used to this whole growing my own food thing. :)


Do you have a green thumb? What is in your garden/containers this year? Help feed my curiosity! Its never to early for new ideas!! :)

4 comments:

Raine said...

How fun! I've always wanted to do that.

They have giant rosemary bushes at Callaway Gardens...I am so jealous. Why have boxwoods when you can have rosemary? ;)

Anonymous said...

It isn't too late to plant more! We have a long growing season in sw Ga.
Mom

Mandy Kavanaugh said...

I quit growing herbs when my little container attracted a snake! :( I'll come clip some of yours :)

The Journey said...

I have attempted flowers in the past but I either neglect because I forget to water or over water because I keep thinking I'm going to forget... Root rot later :(

I think I will stick to synthetics for now!

Great job on yours!