Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Crock Pot Dinners Rock My Socks

I don't know about you, but I love me some crock pot dinners. They are so stinking easy to make and they usually taste great! (I say "usually" because there are some really bad slow cooker recipes out there. Trust me, I know from experience. *shudder*)

My favorite time to have a crock pot meal is Sunday for lunch. I throw some stuff together when I wake up in the morning and then by the time we get back from church our lunch is ready! Talk about perfect. This Sunday we had crock pot chicken and rice and I decided to show you how to make this super simple meal! That is, if you don't already make it on a regular basis. In that case you may want to find another blog to read for today. This may be a yawn. :)



You will need four ingredients. 3 "cream of" soups, water, rice and chicken.

* The original recipe calls for 1 cream of chicken, 1 cream of celery and 1 cream of mushroom. But my hubby will die a horrible death if he is forced to eat anything with the word celery or mushroom on the package, so we use three cream of chickens.




Poor in all three "cream of" soups




and 1/2 cup of water into the crock pot.




Give it a little stir to mix the two together.




Then add 1 cup of long grain rice. I prefer to use brown rice, but you can use whatever floats your boat.




And this is where you can stir your rice into your water/cream of mixture. Sometimes I do that, sometimes I forget. This time I happened to forget. The meal is just fine either way, just know you have the option.




Now plop the chicken breasts on top and plop on the lid.

Sorry. The word plop should never be used twice in one sentence. I just cant help myself sometimes.




You can cook it on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. It all depends on how much time you have. I can never get my act together in time to cook it for 8 hours, so mine is always set on high.




Four hours later, this is what it looked like. You might notice that it is a tad bit soupy looking. Have no fear. That only happened because I forgot to stir the darn rice into the mixture before hand. If this happens to you, you can go ahead and give it a little stir a five or so min. before serving.




See, I told you the meal is fine either way. :)

Ring the triangle and let everyone know that dinner is ready, because now you are ready to serve this super easy meal. Just add a veggie and some bread and you should be good to go!




Unlike me, Zachariah likes his chicken completely separate from his rice. And yes... that is a Christmas plate. He just wont let me put it away with the other Christmas stuff. Trust me, I have tried.




And just in case you were wondering, here is what Zachariah's full plate looked like. Chicken, rice, broccoli casserole and a muffin. Not to shabby for a picky two year old. He ate every bit of it too. That is actually the main reason I love this meal. If my toddler will scarf it down I am a happy camper.

Enjoy! :)


Ingredients:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
(if you have a picky eater, use three cream of chicken)
1/2 cup water
1 cup long-grain rice
4 lg chicken breasts

Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine the soups, water and rice. Place the chicken on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love the crock pot, but usually the food isn't very attractive!! Your's looks great! Cream of (chicken, mushroom) soup always makes great crock pot meals :)