Friday, April 10, 2009

The Veggie Delima

I used to brag on my son because he was NOT a picky eater. From the moment he started eating table foods, he has eaten every single thing that was put in front of him. He had his favorite fruits (grapes, kiwi, mango, and bananas), his favorite veggies (sweet potatoes, broccoli, and zucchini fritters), and his favorite "side dishes" (organic mac n cheese, boiled eggs, cheese cubes, and mashed potatoes). And he would even eat asparagus and beets from time to time. Barf.

So needless to say, we did not have trouble getting this child to eat. (Maybe that's why my 18 month old weighs as much as a 2 1/2 year old. :)

Well, until now.

For some odd reason, for the past month, Zachariah has been getting pickier with his veggies. He will eat his fruits no problem. But the veggies are becoming difficult to get him to eat. I have tried to give him more or a variety by giving him veggies he hasn't had in a while, I have tried to give him his favorites... and neither of those are working. I have even tried to put some veggies on the spoon with his mashed potatoes or something, but he has a built in radar and knows when I am sneaking them. So he just picks them out. The stubborn kid.

So this is where I need your help. I would appreciate suggestions of creative ways to feed toddlers veggies. I am going to start fixing more casseroles, because he LOVES broccoli casserole. But my kid cant live off of broccoli casserole. So I am in need of some other ideas.

Has anyone else out there had this problem?

4 comments:

jamie b said...

i have no suggestions. Bryan was the SAME way! He would eat a bowl full of broccoli, zucchini, and sweet potatoes. right before he turned two he wouldn't touch them. the only veggie he'll eat now is corn on the cob. i serve a veggie to him at every meal and don't pressure him to eat it. i've heard they eventually come around and eat it again. when, i don't know!! Bryan gets pickier by the day. he now pretty much eats the same thing over and over. let's pray this stage passes. :)

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i have zero suggestions...i am in the same boat. the only thing i have tried are casserole type dishes where i just mix the veggies in. sometimes it works + sometimes they just pick them out. good luck!

tammi said...

chop up spinach very finely in a food chopper (spinach is a SUPER food- tons of good junk in there!) and sneak it into...well, everything.
I put it in spaghetti sauce, mashed potatoes, etc. etc. I've even put it in brownies. :)
Then give him a multi-vitamin.

:)

And get the book "The Sneaky Chef" from the library. :)

jamie b said...

I have a book kind of like sneaky chef...guess i should pull it out! :)

GREAT idea about the spinach Tammi!