Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Baked Ravioli

I realize that it has been quite a while since I have done a recipe post. I have actually taken pictures of food as I am making it in hopes of blogging them, but life, laziness and procrastination have all taken over. Shocker.

But guess what? I have a new recipe for you this morning! And if I can get my act together, I will have one for you next week as well! :)

Today's recipe is Baked Ravioli. My husband practically lived off of Chef Boyardee Ravioli for YEARS. Soon after we good married we stopped buying Mr. Boyardee and my poor hubby started missing his ravioli fix. Seeing as how he was out of the canned ravioli phase I decided to try baked ravioli. And boy howdy am I glad I did. Everyone in my family loves it. Its an easy meal and it happens to be one of the few meals Zachariah will eat! Talk about a win win scenario.

Ok! Lets get down to business.



Here are the ingredients. All three of them. You need a bag of frozen ravioli, a jar of marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Talk about a simple meal!

(FYI: Our ravioli is stuffed with cheese. I have only found it at Wal Mart, but if you want beef stuffed ravioli I am sure you can find that at most grocery stores)




Cover the bottom of a 9x13 dish with marinara sauce. Don't coat it completely, just put enough sauce down so the ravioli wont stick to the pan. Then lay one layer of frozen ravioli pockets on top of the sauce.

Cover the layer ravioli pockets with sauce and then top it with about half of your mozzarella cheese.

Then start over! Place frozen ravioli on top of the cheese, then cover in sauce and put more cheese.



This is the frozen finished product. Oh, and feel free to sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of the last layer. It adds a nice somethin somethin to the ravioli. :)




Once the oven has preheated to 400 degrees, cover the pan in foil and let it cook for 30 minutes.




After about 30 minutes, take the foil off and cook it for another 10 or 15 minutes. I usually take it out after 10, but if it looks soupy and it isn't starting to burn go ahead and leave it in for a little bit longer.




Wala! The finished product! Does that not look delicious? Serve this with Italian bread and a salad and you will be set!


Typing this post has made me really hungry, so I am off to find some food. I hope you enjoy the recipe! Let me know how you like it! :)



Baked Ravioli

Ingredients:
Bag of frozen ravioli
1 jar of marinara sauce
2 cups of mozzarella cheese


Directions:
Heat oven to 400°F. Spray bottom and sides of a 9x13 rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.

Spread 3/4 cup of the pasta sauce in baking dish. Arrange half of the frozen ravioli in single layer over sauce; top with half of the remaining pasta sauce and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once, starting with ravioli. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes longer or until bubbly and hot in center. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

41 comments:

jamie b said...

YUM! how easy is that?! i think my men would love that. thanks for sharing! :)

Raine said...

I am impressed. Not only with how simple and delicious it looks, but also by the fact that your oven is sparkling clean. Kudos. ;)

jamie b said...

lol raine, i didn't even notice the oven until you said that. Amy Lynn-that is one shiny oven!

Amy Lynn said...

Hahaha. Thanks! Believe it or not I have never cleaned it. It is actually only a few months old, so I haven't had too much time to make a mess. :)

Whitney said...

Amy Lynn- this looks delish!

KEYla said...

This looks amazing! I am a broke college graduate and boy am i happy to have found this recipe! Thanks! :)

jacki said...

Can this be made in advance and frozen?

Sheena said...

Making this right now! I added meat to the sauce so I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

SamL said...

Did you make this the freeze it? I am looking for freezer friendly ideas.

Anonymous said...

Awesome recipe! Love that it's only one pan!

Anonymous said...

Made this last weekend and it was great! Hubby has requested it for tonight! So easy and so tasty. Gives the ravioli a homemade texture!!

Unknown said...

i made this tonight and it was great. i added hamburger & garlic to the sauce & used about twice as much sauce as it called for. my family loved the extra sauce to dip their bread in. mmmm, mmmm good. thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I've now made this twice and my family loves it. Even my 9year old who doesn't eat pasta! I also add twice the amount of sauce and I use ground turkey in my sauce. Thanks for a great recipe that is now on my rotating dinner list! :-)

Anonymous said...

Does it make a difference if you use spaghetti sauce? I picked up that instead of marinara.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll try a version of this... instead of mozz between the 2 layers of raviolis, I'm going to make mixture of (thawed) frozen chopped spinach and ricotta cheese.

Sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

Looks excellent, great idea, will try this with my homemade sauce, but thank you for sharing a great idea!!

Loueen said...

Instead of spaghetti sauce or marinara, which is delicious, I have also used Alfredo sauce...alone, or mixed with spaghetti sauce for pink Alfredo. Delish!

Anonymous said...

I made it tonight and used chicken sausage and kale ravioli from costco. Was amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

This is a great recipe, one of my new go-to favorites! I include a layer of zucchini in the middle (on top of the first round of rav's) to add some veggies; pre-sliced zucchini from the freezer aisle works perfect.

Anonymous said...

I plan on making this tonight, but my family doesn't eat any kind of red sauce so we will be using Alfredo. I am also adding shredded chicken from last nights left overs!

Anonymous said...

I just made this for supper and I really enjoyed it. It's great to have something "homemade" (ish) mid-week when you almost feel too busy and tired to cook.
Thanks for sharing!

Princess Sparkles said...

This was delicious! Thanks for sharing! :) I just found your blog as I found this and have been looking over all your recipes! I LOVE THEM! So easy and I love having the pictures with them. It's so great :)

Gina Carter said...

I really love this! It's my new fave! Thanks for a great and EASY recipe!

Karen L K said...

Excellent and easy! Love it!

Anonymous said...

if putting ground beef in with the sauce, won't it be too tough when it's in oven for 45 min? can't imagine I put it in raw.

Anonymous said...

I love it, hubby loves it! This is now a go-to recipe for finals/busy work weeks! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Making this tonight! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I also added farm rich brand meatballs. And used ragu spaghetti sauce.

Marissa B said...

I've made this twice and it's great!

topcooker said...

I'm going to make this tonight. I am going to add little forze meatballs. I''ll let u know how it works out.

Mr. Food Test Kitchen said...

Looks great! We'll be sharing this as an easy, shortcut, family dinner recipe on our blog!

Anonymous said...

it's voila, not "wala"

Unknown said...

I'm DEF trying this, my dad & kids love anything with marinara sauce, especially my lasagna and this is more affordable and quick.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. Too bad you can't freeze left overs, since the ravioli was once frozen. But I will still try this. Just have to send home the leftovers.

Geepers said...

No problem freezing left overs. They have been cooked now so you are not thawing and refreezing raw! Go for it

Unknown said...

So excited to try this tonight. Studying for midterms and the fiancee and I needed something quick and easy, but also yummy!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!! Thank God for pinterest also

Unknown said...

So excited to try this tonight. Studying for midterms and the fiancee and I needed something quick and easy, but also yummy!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!! Thank God for pinterest also

Anonymous said...

This was a great meal! Super easy and tasted amazing!

Luzianascrapper said...

This is a definite YES! at our house. I've made it with the cheese ravioli & with the meat ravioli. Now I use both! Divided down the middle. Added fresh basil & oregano tonight. Can't wait to try it again! I also use more sauce as well. Delicious!

Unknown said...

Quick question Do you cook the frozen ravioli first, before putting in the pan and then in the oven?

Anonymous said...

You keep them frozen. Made this several times delish.

Anonymous said...

Can you make this with ravioli from the refrigerated section? Button is the brand.